Filing a Workers Comp Claim

When you have been injured on the job and you are seeking compensation while you are unable to work, filing for a Chicago workers compensation claim is the next step to receiving the money you deserve. If you have decided you would like to file for workers compensation, you can do so by following a few steps to ensure you will begin receiving the money you need to pay for medical bills, expenses and any time off you may need to take depending on the severity of your injuries.

First, it is essential to notify your employer that you will be filing for workers’ compensation, regardless of the type of injury you have sustained. There are often forms available from employers that will allow you to fill out what type of injury you have sustained or the illness you have.

Seeking a doctor’s opinion and referral is also necessary to determine how severe your injury or illness is, helping to build your case for workers’ compensation.

If you are not provided with the proper forms from your employer to file for workers’ compensation, you can then call a local workers’ compensation office or a state service building near you to request the paperwork yourself.

Fill out in detail all of the information you have on yourself, your employer and the illness or injury you are struggling with at that time, once you receive the proper paperwork. Include any information about the doctors you have visited to confirm that you have up to date medical records on the injury or illness.

Once you have completely and thoroughly filled out the workers’ compensation documents, return the paperwork to your employer personally. Your employer is then responsible for turning in the paperwork to the workers’ compensation service office, which will then determine how much compensation you are eligible for based on your medical history, records and the type of illness or injury you have sustained while you were working on the job. The more thorough your paperwork is, the more likely you are to receive the compensation you need to recover, regardless of the amount of time you need to take off.

If you are having issues with your claim or employer it may be time to contact a Lawyer who specializes in workers compensation.